1. To carry out trawl surveys for pre-recruit bass in the area using a standard high- I
headline trawl fitted with a cod-end liner, and a commercial sand-eel trawl.
2. To carry out comparative fishing trials using a new trawl bought to replace the standard survey trawl. Not possible due to non-delivery of the new trawl.
3. To sample commercial landings of bass whenever possible to augment the lab's biological sampling programme.
4. To obtain estimates of the bass fishing effort in the above areas, and to distribute further bass logbooks.
5. To tag bass at 30 cm or larger.
6. To liaise with Fawley aquatic research laboratories Ltd (FarL) and provide assistance with setting up a study on the effects of oil prospecting surveys on the local populations of, and fishery for, bass in the Christchurch and Poole Bay area.
Derek Roy Eaton (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)
Biology and fisheries
Quantity: number of hauls = 59 Description: bass survey.
Quantity: number of specimens = 24 Description: bass tagged (length range 31-44cm)