1. To deploy current meter and thermistor chain moorings in the vicinity of Black Mud Canyon to study the effects of internal waves and tidal currents in relation to sediment transport processes.
2. To carry out salinity and temperature measurements using CTD, XBT and thermosalinograph equipment, to further study the effects of internal waves and other processes at the shelf-edge.
3. To carry out echosounding and sidescan sonar surveys to determine the distribution of sandwaves and other bedforms in the head of Black Mud Canyon.
4. To carry out a programme of sediment sampling and underwater photography in the Canyon and on the shelf-edge.
5. To carry out trials of remote recording sediment transport and boundary layer equipment (STABLE).
6. To recover an autonomous recording inverted echosounder buoy (ARIES).
Anthony D Heathershaw (Institute of Oceanographic Sciences Taunton)
Bay of Biscay
N. Bay of Biscay
Description: extensive bathymetric surveying completed using the PES equipment.
Quantity: number of profiles = 80
Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements
Description: Thermosalinograph run more or less continuously throughout the cruise.
Geology and geophysics
Quantity: number of samples = 40 Description: sediment samples obtained using a Shipek Grab.