FRV Scotia 1002S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2002-06-27 — 2002-07-17|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north-western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58° -61.45'N and 4° W to 2° E, excluding Norwegian and Faroese waters.
2. To obtain echosounder trace identification using pelagic trawl.
3. To obtain samples of herring for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection.
4. To obtain samples of herring for genetic analysis.
5. To obtain photographic records for fish maturity analysis.
6. To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring.
7. To obtain plankton samples for acoustic identification work.
|Chief scientist||Edmund John Simmonds (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Project||ICES Co-ordinated Acoustic Survey|
|Coordinating body||ICES PGHERS|
|Cruise report||(0.15 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Northwestern North Sea, Orkney and Shetland|
|Track charts||(0.02 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
Description: Water bottle a surface and bottom
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 18|
Description: CTD surface to bottom casts
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Quantity: activity duration in days = 18|
Description: T and S from thermosalinograph for 18 out of 20 days
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 21|
Description: 1m ring net surface to bottom vertical sample
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 50|
Description: Opportunistic pelagic trawls of variable duration
|Geology and geophysics|
|Single-beam echosounding||Quantity: activity duration in days = 20|
Description: 18, 38,120,200 Single or split beam sounder recorded throught the track
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: activity duration in days = 20|
Description: 95kHz swath recorded throughout the track