FRV Clupea 1003C_1
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Clupea (74CU)|
|Cruise period||2003-06-05 — 2003-06-18|
|Port of departure||Fraserburgh, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Montrose, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To investigate variation in sandeel population age structure at different locations on the Wee Bankie and Marr Bank from samples collected using the Sandeel dredge.
2. To carry out a demersal trawl survey to determine the abundance and distribution of whiting, haddock and cod, the main fish predators of sandeels. At each trawl station the length frequency of all fish species caught will be determined. Sub-samples of the three gadoids will be weighed to determine length-weight relationships. Otoliths will be taken to determine age composition. Stomach samples will be collected to establish diet and food consumption rates, and livers and gonads will be removed to determine Hepato- and Gonado- Somatic Indices. (Any sandeels and clupeid fish caught during the demersal trawling will be worked up to determine length frequency distributions, length-weight relationships and age composition). Muscle tissue samples will also be collected for fatty acid and nitrogen isotope ratio analysis.
3. To determine spatial variation in water temperature and salinity across the Wee Bankie/Marr Bank study area using a Seabird CTD sampler. Approximately 44 vertical dip stations will be sampled utilising the demersal trawl stations and additional locations mid-way between the trawl stations.
4. To undertake an acoustic survey of sandeels and clupeid fish in the water column using 38 and 120 kH. Concentrations of fish will be sampled using the pelagic trawl. Species composition and length frequency distributions of fish caught will be determined. Sub samples will be weighed and their otoliths removed to establish length-weight relationships and age composition.
5. To conduct a RoxAnn survey of the substrate in the study area to investigate variation in the sandbank structure between this and previous cruises.
6. To conduct a survey of seabirds using the study area, to determine their abundance and distribution, using standard census methods.
7. To record all sightings of marine mammals (number of animals, species if possible, and their location) observed during the course of the cruise.
8. To conduct a hydrographic survey along a transect offshore of Stonehaven. At pre-selected locations the Seabird CTD sampler and the dual Bongo net will be deployed using a vertical dip. Water samples will be collected for salinity, nutrient and phytoplankton analysis. The 1 m plankton net will be deployed using a double oblique tow between selected stations along the transect.
|Chief scientist||Simon Greenstreet (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.25 MB)|
|Specific||Wee Bankie/Marr Bank Firth of Forth|
|Track charts||(0.12 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
Description: Water bottles were used to collected nutrient samples along the Stonehaven Transect
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 73|
Description: CTD stations were located across the Firth of Forth
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
Description: Phosphates were collected along the Stonehaven Transect
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
Description: Nitrates were collected along the Stonehaven Transect
|Silicate||Quantity: number of samples = 6|
Description: Silicates were collected along the Stonehaven Transect
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of samples = 40|
Description: Chlorophyll samples collected on most CTD dips
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 6|
Description: Phytoplankton collected with Bongo Nets/Integrated plankton sampler
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 6|
Description: Zooplankton collected with Bongo Nets/Integrated plankton sampler
|Birds||Quantity: number of surveys = 1|
Description: A seabird survey was carried out along the line of the acoustic transect in the Forth
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 7|
Description: Pelagic fish were sampled in the Firth of Forth
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 19|
Description: Demersal fish were sampled in the Firth of Forth
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: number of surveys = 1|
Description: An acoustic survey was carried out in the Firth of Forth