FRV Scotia 1003S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2003-06-27 — 2003-07-21|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1) To conduct an acoustic survey to estimate the abundance and distribution of herring in the north western North Sea and north of Scotland between 58-61.45'N and 4.0W to 2.0E, Faroese waters.
2) To obtain echosounder trace identification using pelagic trawl and demersal trawl.
3) To obtain samples of herring for biological analysis, including age, length, weight, sex, maturity and ichthyophonus infection.
4) To obtain samples of herring for genetic analysis for HERGEN.
5) To obtain photographic records for fish maturity analysis.
6) To obtain hydrographic data for comparison with the horizontal and vertical distribution of herring.
7) To obtain plankton samples for acoustic identification work.
|Chief scientist||Edmund John Simmonds (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.06 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||North western North Sea, north of Scotland, Orkney and Shetland|
|Track charts||(0.07 MB)|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 20|
Description: Temperature and salinity profiles
|Biology and fisheries|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of hauls = 42|
Description: Utow plankton hauls
|Pelagic fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 40|
Description: Pelagic trawl hauls aimed at herring length and biological samples
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 22|
Description: Demersal hauls numbers and length only
|Acoustic reflection on marine organisms.||Quantity: track kilometres = 5370|
Description: nMiles acoustic data at 18,38,120,200kHz on cruise track
|Geology and geophysics|
|Multi-beam echosounding||Quantity: track kilometres = 5370|
Description: nMiles Simrad SM950 raw data on cruise track