RV Corystes COR5B/95
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Corystes (74RY)|
|Cruise period||1995-05-04 — 1995-05-23|
|Port of departure||Liverpool, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Lowestoft, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The work is directed at a better understanding of the dynamics of the North Channel which control the flushing characteristics of the Irish Sea. Net outflow from the Irish Sea is northward but there are apparently long periods of inflow on the western side of the channel. It is not known to what extent outflowing water recirculates and extends southward along the Irish coast or what importance inflows of Atlantic water have on flushing characteristics of the region. Variability in the flow regime and factors governing it are poorly understood. The main sampling aims of the cruise were:
1. To deploy and recover mooring arrays in the North Channel and western Irish Sea.
2. Deploy and retrieve free floating ARGOS buoys in the North Channel and western Irish Sea to determine the Lagrangian circulation.
3. Undertake associated physical and biological surveys of the region in support of 1) and 2).
4. Collect Nephrops larvae to augment data collected during Cirolana 4b/05, in order to progress our understanding of the role physical processes play in the retention or distribution of the stock associated with the Irish Sea mud patch.
5. Evaluate the performance of the new Valeport BFM308 current meter in a comparison with an Aanderaa.
6. Test new NAS-2 nitrate analysers in a deck tank.
7. Take water samples immediately above the munitions dumping sites in the North Channel for subsequent bio-assays at the Burnham Laboratory.
|Chief scientist||Juan Brown (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.30 MB)|
|General||Irish Sea and St. George's Channel|
|Specific||Irish Sea and North Channel|
|Surface measurements underway (T,S)||Quantity: activity duration in days = 17|
Description: days continuous T & S
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
Description: also 528 miles undulating CTD
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 6|
Description: 5 current meters deployed
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 15|
Description: satellite tracked drifting buoys
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Total - N||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Suspended matter||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 57|
Description: chlorophyll 'a'
|Phytobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 54|
|Zoobenthos||Quantity: number of stations = 54|
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||54° 17' 59" N 5° 5' 59" W — moored current meters deploy|
|Current meters||55° 7' 0" N 5° 52' 59" W — moored current meters deploy|
|Current meters||54° 52' 59" N 5° 24' 0" W —|
|Current meters||54° 45' 0" N 5° 10' 0" W — moored current meters deploy|
|Current meters||54° 32' 59" N 5° 10' 0" W — moored current meters deploy|
|Current meters||55° 10' 59" N 5° 40' 0" W — moored current meters deploy|
|Data held at BODC|
|57 CTD/STD cast|
Vertical spatial coordinates
Salinity of the water column
Concentration of suspended particulate material in the water column
Temperature of the water column