RRS Challenger CH7A/75
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1975-05-01 — 1975-05-06|
|Port of departure||Greenock, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
1. Deploying a current meter mooring at 57N, 9W for the duration of the cruise. Accomplished.
2. Work an STD time series at the current meter site. Accomplished..
3. Work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) hydrographic section. Achieved as far as the deep water to the W of the Seamount.
4. Collection of shelf sediment Shipek Grab samples for Aberystwyth University. Accomplished.
5. Collection of large-volume water samples for radio-caesium measurements. Accomplished
6. Testing and development of a data logging system for STD system. Accomplished.
7. Near real-time supply of temperature profiles to the Met Office. Accomplished.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.08 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 31|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 10|
Description: Large-volume water sampes
|Geology and geophysics|
|Grab||Quantity: number of deployments = 7|
Description: Shipek Grab samples
|Moorings, landers, buoys|
|Current meters||57° 0' 0" N 9° 0' 0" W — Current meter deployment for cruise duration.|