FRV Scotia 1315S
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2015-09-19 — 2015-10-02|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
1. Test the CTD in the Buchan Deep off Peterhead. Collect water samples for salinity sub-standards (12x5 litre - 4 crates of salinities).
2. Perform hydrographic sampling along the JONSIS long term monitoring section in the northern North Sea.
3. Perform CTD stations at the ADCP moorings on the cross shelf line adjacent to the Fair Isle - Munken section.
4. Recover and download the data recovered from the one ADCP moorings deployed on the cross shelf section, adjacent to the Fair Isle - Munken section, during 2014. (Note that an additional two recoveries may be required if there are any concerns about the condition of the recovered mooring). Redeploy the mooring.
5. Deploy one new ADCP moorings in a trawlproof frame at a position on Fair Isle - Munken section.
6. Perform hydrographic sampling along the long term monitoring Faroe-Shetland Channel sections, Fair Isle - Munken and Nolso - Flugga.
7. Take water samples for long-term storage at Fair Isle - Munken section stations FIM-01 and FIM-06.
8. Take water samples for bacteria analysis at FIM03, FIM06a, FIM08, NOL07, NOL08 and SEFOS (b/w NOL03 and NOL03a).
9. Take sediment samples using the Maxi-corer at or near a number of the Nolso - Flugga section stations. This will include some time for training on coring/sampling procedures for staff unfamiliar in its operation.
10. Take micro plastic water samples at a number of locations.
11. Deploy drifters on the Shetland Shelf for the SAMS aquaculture modelling experiment. Perform CTD stations at the shelf edge to determine structure prior to deploying drifters.
12. Perform a number of other hydrographic sections if time allows. Namely: Repeat of NOL and FIM sections. Survey of Shetland/Orkney waters for model validation studies.
|Chief scientist||Sarah Hughes (Marine Scotland Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise programme||(0.19 MB)|
|General||North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)|
|Track charts||(0.18 MB)|