RV Cirolana CIR8/81
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RV Cirolana (74CZ)|
|Cruise period||1981-08-26 — 1981-09-21|
|Port of departure||Grimsby, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Immingham, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To carry out a groundfish survey of the North Sea.
2. To obtain the length and age distribution of cod, whiting, haddock and plaice by ICES Working Group sampling areas.
3. To examine fish stomachs, especially in respect of predation upon other fish, and to preserve stomachs for the ICES Working Group on Multispecies Models.
4. To collect water samples and fish fillets for caesium studies (AEP 1).
5. To make an underwater camera survey at benthos (Dyer).
6. To compare trawl catches of benthos with those of an Agassiz Trawl (Dyer).
7. To collect fish tissues for genetic studies (Jamieson).
Late aims (received too late to appear on cruise programme)
8. To collect plaice tissues for bochemical analysis (Witthames).
9. To collect rectal glands from Raja radicta (UEA).
10. To collect fish and benthos specimens for various organisations.
All the aims were successfully completed.
|Chief scientist||John G Pope (Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food Lowestoft Fisheries Laboratory)|
|Project||Ground Fish Survey by ICES|
|Cruise report||(0.35 MB)|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 44|
Description: water samples taken.
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 56|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 25|
Description: Agassiz trawls.
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 56|
Description: survey:pathology,energy transfers,population
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 126|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Bottom photography||Description: colour photography taken from all but two of the primary stations.|