RRS Challenger CH10/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1984-11-16 — 1984-12-06|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To recover current meter mooring LG in Beaufort's Dyke, North Channel and to relay it with two additional moorings, LE and LF, for recovery in January 1985.
2. To collect bottom cores for plutonium analysis at the current meter sites LE, LF and LG in the North Channel and to take near bottom 60 litre water samples at the coring stations for the Fisheries Laboratory, Lowestoft.
3. To service SMBA current meter moorings F (57º 30.60'N, 12º 13.3'W) and Y (Tiree Passage) and to lay a near surface current mooring S South-east of Islay (55º 35.0'N, 6º 3.0'W) to work the CTD section from Rockall to the Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line).
4. To work shelf CTD sections from the northern Irish Sea to the Butt of Lewis and to collect radiocaesium samples on some sections for Chemistry Department, Glasgow University.
5. To collect surface, midwater and near-bottom samples for radiocaesium determination by the Fisheries Laboratory, Lowestoft, at ten standard positions between the Sound of Mull and the shelf edge, to make CTD observations at these sites and to take cores at stations with suitable bottom deposits.
6. To make a CTD survey of the Clyde Sea area.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.22 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||Irish Sea/ Firth of Clyde/ Minches/ W. Scotland|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 122|
Description: S surface 120 S bottom
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 120|
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 8|
Description: 1 recovered;2 months
|Radioactivity||Quantity: sample litres = 50|
Description: surface water samples taken for radiocaesium determination.
|Other contaminant measurements||Quantity: number of cores = 4|
Description: bottom cores for plutonium analysis