RRS Challenger CH9
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1987-01-08 — 1987-01-22|
|Port of departure||Oban, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Campbeltown, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. To collect large volume water samples for radio-caesium analysis along a line of stations Sound of Mull - Barra Head - Shelf edge for MAFF, Lowestoft and elsewhere for University of Glasgow.
2. To service SMBA mooring "Y" in the Tiree Passage.
3. To work CTD stations along a line Sound of Mull - Barra Head - Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) - Rockall.
4. To work CTD stations along sections in the Minch.
5. To work CTD stations, collect water samples for nutrient and phytoplankton determination and to measure light attenuation along various sections on the continental shelf north of Malin, in the Clyde Sea and Irish Sea.
6. To use an acoustic doppler current profiler to examine currents over the Great Plateau and in the Arran Deep in the Clyde Sea.
7. To collect sediment cores in the Irish Sea.
8. To service and relay current meter moorings in the Clyde Sea.
9. To collect zooplankton samples under various conditions on the shelf and in the Clyde Sea.
|Chief scientist||Anton Edwards (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.27 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||N.E. Atlantic (West of Scotland, The Minches, North Channel and Clyde Approaches)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 136|
Description: S only 110 bottom
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 119|
|Optics (eg underwater light levels)||Quantity: number of stations = 12|
Description: irradiance meter
|Current meters||Quantity: number of stations = 4|
Description: 6 deployed;3 month
|Phosphate||Quantity: number of stations = 56|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 56|
|Ammonia||Quantity: number of stations = 56|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 56|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 111|
Description: samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Biology and fisheries|
|Primary productivity||Quantity: number of stations = 3|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 58|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of surveys = 2|
Description: survey:distribution,biomass determination,energy transfers,population structures