FRV Scotia 0405S
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||FRV Scotia (748S)|
|Cruise period||2005-03-11 — 2005-03-31|
|Port of departure||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Aberdeen, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||1. Demersal trawling survey of the grounds off the north and west coasts of Scotland and Irish Sea.
2. To obtain temperature and salinity data from the surface and seabed at each trawling station.
3. Trial and evaluate the NOAA Bottom Contact Sensor.
4. Collect additional biological data in connection with the EU Data Directive 1639/2001.
5. To collect squid tissue for genetic analysis.
6. Collection of various ad hoc preserved tissue samples, live and frozen fish.
7. Identify, quantify and record all Benthic species caught.
|Chief scientist||Kevin J Peach (Fisheries Research Services Aberdeen Marine Laboratory)|
|Cruise report||(0.11 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Specific||north and west coasts of Scotland and Irish Sea|
|Track charts||(0.09 MB)|
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 67|
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 67|
|Subsurface temperature and salinity measurements||Description: Thermosalinograph run continuously throughout the cruise.|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Demersal fish||Quantity: number of hauls = 67|
Description: GOV trawls, all but one undertaken in daylight
|Molluscs||Description: All species of squid caught were frozen and returned to Aberdeen for analysis.|
|Geology and geophysics|
|Other geological/geophysical measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 67|
Description: NOAA bottom contact sensor deployed at each station: 30 successful deployment (remaining 37 fouled by gear or suffered instrument failure).
|Data held at BODC|
|67 CTD/STD cast|