RRS Challenger CH2/84
Cruise summary report
|Ship name (ship code)||RRS Challenger (74CH)|
|Cruise period||1984-06-23 — 1984-07-08|
|Port of departure||Ardrossan, United Kingdom|
|Port of return||Falmouth, United Kingdom|
|Objectives||The objectives of this cruise were:
(1) To deploy three current meter moorings in the North Channel for the duration of the cruise. Re-lay one of the three for recovery by RV Clione. Moorings deployed and recovered, but no data from one due to collapse of the sub-surface buoyancy. Redeployment accomplished.
(2) To work CTD sections across the shelf from the Mull of Galloway and the North Minch. Fifteen sections worked with five covering the North Channel, three between the Outer Hebrides and the shelf edge and seven between Hebridean islands and the mainland.
(3) To collect large-volume water samples for radiocaesium analysis from three depths at each of the ten standard stations between the Sound of Mull and the shelf edge. Accomplished.
(4) To collect nutrient, chlorophyll and phytoplankton production data on the outer shelf and slope. Accomplished.
(5) To deploy a current meter mooring at station Y in the Tiree Passage. Accomplished.
(6) To visit current meter moorings at F, M, V and W to recover any surviving equipment and re-lay mooring F. Nothing found. Mooring re-deployed.
(7) To search for the Dundee University Kraksat satellite-interrogated buoy. No trace found.
(8) To work the Rockall via Anton Dohrn Seamount (Ellett Line) CTD section. Accomplished from the shelf edge to Rockall Bank.
|Chief scientist||David J Ellett (Scottish Marine Biological Association)|
|Cruise report||(0.26 MB)|
|General||Inner Seas off the West Coast of Scotland|
Irish Sea and St. George's Channel
North East Atlantic Ocean (limit 40W)
|Water bottle stations||Quantity: number of stations = 129|
Description: S surface 120 bottom
|CTD stations||Quantity: number of stations = 120|
Description: noisy upper layers
|Current meters||Quantity: number of deployments = 13|
Description: 6 recovered;11 days-4 months
|Surface drifters/drifting buoys||Quantity: number of deployments = 147|
|Oxygen||Quantity: number of stations = 61|
|Nitrate||Quantity: number of stations = 51|
|Nitrite||Quantity: number of stations = 51|
|Silicate||Quantity: number of stations = 51|
|Radioactivity||Quantity: number of samples = 111|
Description: water samples for radio-caesium analysis.
|Other chemical oceanographic measurements||Quantity: number of stations = 16|
Description: C14,Carbonate uptaken
|Contaminants in organisms||Quantity: number of stations = 5|
|Biology and fisheries|
|Phytoplankton pigs (eg chlorophyll, fluorescence)||Quantity: number of stations = 92|
|Phytoplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 30|
|Zooplankton||Quantity: number of stations = 9|
Description: toxicology studies